Reaction to my blog post on Tuesday evening has prompted action ‘while the iron’s hot’ to progress with the idea of a new and revived collaborative blog. I hope we can maintain momentum on this idea with a view to blogging and igniting professional conversation beyond #blogjune.
Partly self-nominated, partly nudged, I’d like to jot down a few ideas about what we need to get this going. There are a few things I think we need right now and there a things we can develop once started.
What we need right now
- a small team – these people will assist with initial set up of the site, write and invite others to write content that can be posted in early days.
- decide what the website/blog is and what it isn’t – to me, this blog is a launch pad for conversation in other spaces such as Twitter. The blog is an anchor, a landing page. So I’m thinking it doesn’t need its own Twitter or Facebook accounts, etc. People can tweet what they find on the blog. Allow the community to spread the word. This blog is for the community, by the community. It’s a meeting place. It’s a ‘making connections’ place. It is also a space for info pros to find their voice in a welcoming environment.
This blog is not for job listings. There are enough channels for this purpose. Would you agree?
- a purpose and aims – fostering connections, knowledge building and sharing; it is inclusive of different perspectives, job titles, sectors, etc, and it is welcoming.
- a blog name – League of Librarians has been suggested and there is some agreement on Twitter. I find this name quite powerful. Yes, there are other jobs out there without the ‘L’ word and there are increasing numbers of jobs where librarian skills are needed and being used in some of the most traditionally unlikely of places (which is awesome, by the way). If there are any other suggestions, please comment below.
- platform – WordPress might be easiest? I currently run two blogs on Bluehost and haven’t had a hitch yet.
What we will need in the short term
- some idea of the kind of content to blog about (a focus) – rough ideas include different perspectives on a trend or issue; innovative or cool stuff happening; challenges we might be facing, both on an information service and personal professional levels; questions and figuring stuff out.
- an admin team, an editorial team and regular contributors – these could the same people or people might be interested in contributing in different ways. Admin team might look after emails, comms and website maintenance. Editorial team will keep track of submissions and the publishing calendar. Regular contributors might set their own frequency.
- a leadership support crew – these people are senior members of our community who may not be directly involved, but who we can call upon for guidance along the way and guest content. I have a few ideas about who these might be
- site features- what we need it to do will inform what is needed, but do we want an email subscription function or sponsorship to cover web hosting costs?
If you’re interested and haven’t checked out this conference paper about how LINT started, please do have a read.
I don’t have an official online form as yet, but if you’re interested in being a member of the team, start up or later on, please comment below with how you’d like to be involved.
Please also contribute your ideas and vision for this blog. I acknowledge that what I have envisioned here may not be what you had in mind. So please do share what you’re thinking.
So that’s all I have right now. I won’t have thought of everything, but at least this is a start.